- Intellectual Property
- Dispute Resolution
Dr. Yong Chen’s practices focus on intellectual property, including patent portfolio development and management, patent licensing transaction, and IP litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Dr. Chen worked at two large law firms and a boutique patent firm in New York, during which time he counseled a range of clients including electronics equipment, telecommunications, internet, petrochemical, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical, medical devices companies, universities and research institutions in their patent and trademark portfolio management, application preparation and filing, prosecution, patent invalidity investigation, patent infringement investigation, freedom-to-operate studies, due diligence, technology transfer, etc.
Dr. Chen has drafted over a hundred U.S. and PCT patent applications and managed prosecution of hundreds of U.S. and international patent applications, including reexaminations, reissues, appeals, and inter partes review. His patent-related technical areas include pharmaceuticals, medical devices, chemicals, chemical engineering, petroleum refinery systems, batteries, biofuels, polymers, nanomaterials, microelectromechanical devices, bioinformatics, mechanical engineering, computer software, networking, and electronics.
Dr. Chen has experience in patent litigations involving e-commerce systems, semiconductors, telecommunications, software, medical devices, and nutritional supplements. He also conducts commercial litigations and assist clients with out-of-court negotiations and settlement.
The following is a selected sampling of Dr. Chen’s past client /matters:
- •A world leading medical devices and pharmaceutical company: patent due diligence prior to acquisition of or investment in target companies; patent portfolio development and freedom-to-operate studies relating to implantable medical devices product development; management of international patent portfolios in cardiovascular medical devices;
- •A world leading large petrochemical company: patent preparation and prosecution in data processing, catalysis, process control, and waste disposal in refineries and oil transport;
- •New York based world renowned higher education institutions and medical schools: patent preparation and prosecution, counseling, investigation, technology transfer;
- •A world leading social networking company: patent preparation and prosecution in mobile computing, data processing, webpage management, user interfaces, and user experiences optimization;
- •A world leading healthcare information services company: patent preparation and prosecution in data acquisition, processing and analysis;
- •A number of early-stage pharmaceutical companies: patent preparation and prosecution, prior art investigation, and management of global patent portfolio in cancer drugs;
- •A number of early-stage medical devices companies: patent preparation and prosecution, prior art investigation, and management of global patent portfolio in cardiovascular implantable devices;
- •A U.S.-based world-leading telecommunications company, a U.S.-based worldwide credit card service company, a Korean world leading mobile phone and other electronics devices manufacturer: patent litigation.